Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Reading

I have always been an avid reader. Not sure when it started, but I can remember bugging my mom to order from the scholastic book order from school. I loved the library and when in high school I was thrilled to be hired to work there. After having babies, toddlers and now school age kids, finding time to read is a bit hard. But I have pressed on and the reading bug has hit again.

I've always hoped that my own kids would love reading as much as I do. I started reading to them since the very beginning. Gabriel is in 2nd grade now and loves to read. He comes home every Monday with two new books from the library. I have started reading chapter books to the kids each night which even Lillian at 4 will sit and listen. I do have to pick books that does have a picture every few pages. But it's amazing that they can sit and remember the story line. After I read to them, I let Gabriel stay up and read his own books for awhile. He loves that I let him do this, but I look at it as just encouraging reading. Though he looks at it that he can stay up a bit longer. lol

Victoria's teacher highly encourages reading to the kids and I have to fill out a reading log every night for her. If you aren't already reading to your own kids, I encourage you to do so. I know we're all tired at the end of the day and some nights I have to drag myself to their rooms. But it's also quality time where we sit together and read. I know this is also laying the foundation that as they get older it will turn into talking time for more serious conversations.

A little hint, make sure you pick a book that sounds interesting to you as well as the kids. There is nothing worse than reading a book that you find boring. Also, pick books with good morals and values. I just ordered the whole Little House box set. I loved these books as a kid and I know my own will love them as well. And if you haven't picked up a book for you lately, go get one!!!! If money is a bit tight, head to the library. Also Hastings sells used books at great prices!!!!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I'm glad to know that i"m not the only one who sometimes struggles to read at bedtime. BUT I make every effort to do it anyway. Sometimes if i know I'm going to be tired, I read earlier in the day and let Daddy read at night! ;)

Angela said...

What a great idea. I never thought of that.